Make that a Big Meeting with fries

Wow - say Goodbye Starbucks and Hello MacDonalds.

Well not quite, but McDonalds is going to put free wifi in most of its 1,200 UK outlets by the end of the year, making it the biggest UK wifi provider according to the Guardian

Could this mean that "hoodies" get pushed out from loitering in the restaurants by geeks & suits weilding laptops. (or will this be a more convenient location for muggings).

I'm not sure they know what they are letting themselves in for:

Faced with the prospect of young people spending hours surfing the net after buying just a single cup of coffee, a spokesman for McDonald's said: "We would be comfortable with that. There will be no restrictions."

I do hope they will be installing more power outlets for customers!

Funnily enough, on the way home from Future of Web Apps last week, I popped in for a pint at the Fox. It didn't have wifi, which prompted my colleague and I to chat about how easy it would have been for the owners to put free wifi in there, the cost of which we believed would be quickly recouped from incremental sales from conference attendees. Why more places don't do it beats me - gets my custom over non-wifi establishments every time.

Labels:

posted by John Wilson @ 5:34 PM Permanent Link newsvine reddit



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home