Piclens - A better perspective on web images &photos

Delicious is an online bookmarking site that I use, as do many others. Unfortunately I've got so many bookmarked sites I can rarely remember what I have stored. Whilst the site allows you to apply tags to pages, hence permitting you to classify them, I am inconsistent in how I classify and hence two similar sites can end up with very different tags. This makes finding stuff tricky, but this is compounded when I can't remember the name of the site and so have to trawl through the links.

I've often wished for a visual thumbnail wall of my delicious sites, simply because I find it visual prompts of what the site looked like a quicker way of locating what I am looking for. Sadly, I've yet to find such a service.

In the same way, hunting for photos or images of my own or online tends to be very hit and miss. Classifications of tags work to some extent, but the reality is that nothing beats viewing the images. So I'm always on the lookout for tools to enable rapid browsing of images. On my laptop/desktop I use Picassa, the Google application which is excellent.

Well, today I found PicLens. It's a free browser plug from Cooliris, which provides astonishingly good image browsing facilities on the web. Clever use of zooming, panning and 3D style presentation not only improves your ability to scan, but is also visually stunning. It works on many photo/images sites inc Flickr, Photobucket and Picassa Web albums, as well as Google Image search.

Check the intro demo here.

Labels: , , ,

posted by John Wilson @ 9:05 AM Permanent Link newsvine reddit



1 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey John,

Thanks so much for posting on PicLens. We really appreciate it!

Your readers can automatically download the right version of PicLens based on their current browser at www.piclens.com. Version 1.6 with the 3D Wall is now available for Firefox and IE (Win and Mac), with Safari coming very soon.

For interested readers, below are links to two videos demos, one by our team and the other by a PicLens fan!

http://www.piclens.com/demo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uRG40tqC8dM

Thanks, again.
Jessica & The Cooliris Team

 

Post a Comment

<< Home